How to Remove Crayon from Carpet
Crayon is a greasy, waxy substance and can be tricky to remove, especially if it is melted into the carpet. If a crayon is left on the floor and exposed to prolonged direct sunlight, or if a crayon is left in a car on a hot day, the crayon will melt and spread deep into the carpet fibers. As you begin to remove the crayon from the carpet, it may take an extra bit of patience and care to fully extract the greasy residue. Professional carpet cleaners may encounter crayon spots in carpet in homes, schools, vehicle interiors—essentially anywhere a child is likely to bring a pack of crayons along.
- Remove any excess crayon with a bone spatula.
- Apply Matrix Orange Power Gel undiluted to the area and work in with a bone spatula Blot with a spotting towel. Note: Do not over-apply or aggressively scrub Orange Power Gel into the carpet as it can cause delamination if allowed to penetrate through the carpet backing.
- Apply Matrix Breakdown P.O.G. undiluted. Tamp and blot with a tamping brush and spotting towel.
- Apply Matrix Release undiluted. Tamp and blot with a tamping brush and spotting towel.
- Rinse with water. If the stain persists, continue with Method Two.
- Apply Matrix Red Be Gone diluted with equal parts of A & B to the spot.
- Press a damp, clean, white spotting towel to the spot.
- Place a steam iron set at the lowest steam setting to the towel. Check the towel every 10-15 seconds for signs of transfer. Be careful not to transfer actual carpet dye to the towel.
- Once all the crayon wax is gone, rinse the area with water.
Warning: Always test materials for colorfastness, follow label directions, and never mix products unless specified in the label directions. Each situation reacts differently and results may vary.
Matrix® Orange Power Gel
Orange Power Gel allows you to dissolve gummy oil and grease spots without damaging carpeting. With the power of natural citrus solvents, Orange Power Gel attacks oily soils, so you can easily extract spots away!
- Dissolves oil, grease, tar, ink, and gum spots
- Utilizes powerful, natural citrus extracts
- pH: 6.0 - 8.5
- Ready to use
A highly effective pre-spray for heavily soiled, greasy traffic lanes, Release also makes an excellent general-purpose spotter that may be mixed with solvents or water.
- Great pre-spray and spotter
- Removes oil and water combination stains
- pH: 9.5–10.5
- Safe for stain-resistant carpet
- Variable dilutions
Matrix® Break Down P.O.G.
For oil-based stains that refuse to budge, try Matrix Break Down POG. Break Down works quickly to remove grease, paint, tar, even lipstick, and can be rinsed out easily with water or Matrix Citrusolve Spotter.
- Treated areas dry fast to save you time
- Not available in all states
- pH: None
- Ready for use
Matrix® Red Be Gone
Nylon Spotting Brush
This 10-inch-long spotting brush features short, stiff white nylon bristles that stand up well against daily tamping and brushing activities. Use this brush for agitating spotting solutions for thorough cleaning performance.
- Ideal for use on tough spots
- Stiff nylon bristles maximize your results
- 10 inches long
No carpet care professional can afford to be without this 4.5" x 3/4" spatula that features smooth, round edges for optimal gunk removal. This essential tool is particularly effective when dealing with tough gum removal problems.
- Smooth and round edges for easy gum removal
- Perfect for working spotting solution into carpet
- A must-have for every carpet cleaner