How to Clean Fluorescent Light Fixtures
This method utilizes a bucket and sponge or trigger sprayer and sponge. An all-purpose detergent such as Unitex Daily Clean is the most common cleaner; however, if there is a lot of grease and oil present, a stronger degreaser may be needed.
- Remove furniture and/or cover with drop cloths.
- Dilute Unitex Daily Clean at 2 oz per gallon of water. If using a trigger sprayer, place diluted solution into spray bottle.
- Sweep the ceiling and hanging fixtures of cobwebs and dirt.
- Remove the diffuser/lens cover from the fixture. Replace any lamps that have burned out.
- With the trigger sprayer or a damp dry cleaning sponge wash the metal parts of the fixture, then wipe dry.
BE SURE THE ELECTRIC CURRENT IS SHUT OFF to this fixture.
- Clean the diffuser/lens cover by spraying it with the trigger sprayer or wash it with solution from the bucket. Be careful of any sharp edges.
- Replace the covers.
- When the entire bank of light fixtures has been cleaned, turn the bank on to see if all lights are working