Water / Flood Restoration Category 3 Losses
WARNING: There are significant health risks as well as a high chance of injury associated with the water damage restoration process. There are also additional health risks, including severe illness and death, associated with improperly drying the structure, as there is the potential for toxic mold to be left behind as well as structural instability.
Jon-Don strongly recommends hiring a trained and certified professional to perform all water damage restoration work.
The following information is intended for use as general guidelines for Category 3 water loss cleanup. No two water losses are alike, and each situation must be treated based on the unique needs of the environment. Before tackling any water loss it is recommended that professionals attend an IICRC WRT Class, an IICRC ASD Class, and be familiar with the industry's standards of care (IICRC S500 and S520).
Category 3 water loss involves water that is grossly contaminated and can contain pathogenic, toxigenic, or other harmful agents. Such water may carry silt, organic matter, pesticides, heavy metals, regulated materials, or toxic organic substances.
Examples include, but are not limited to: sewage, toilet backflows that originate from beyond the toilet trap regardless of visible content or color, all forms of flooding from seawater, ground surface water and rising water from rivers or streams, and other contaminated water entering or affecting the indoor environment such as wind-driven rain from hurricanes, tropical storms, or other weather-related events.
- Complete work contracts. No work should be started without completed authorizations.
- Identify any safety hazards (electrical wires in standing water, loose/buckling drywall, etc.).
- Locate the source of the water and stop any further intrusion. It may be required to contact a professional plumber or other contractor.
- Protect furniture by blocking. Small items can be moved out of the affected area.
- Extract water from carpet and/or pad using a sub-surface extraction tool. Remove water from hard surfaces via squeegee or mop. All dehumidifiers should be turned on to give the coils time to reach dew point temperature.
- Apply a biocide to all affected surfaces to help prevent and retard the growth of microbials.
- Remove and dispose of carpet and carpet pad from all affected areas. Remove and discard all contaminated porous and semi-porous structural materials.
- Inspect all areas that water may have traveled. Document all moisture levels in affected areas.
- Create a drying chamber. Remember, you only want to dry the areas that are wet.
- Install air movers (approx. every 10-15 linear feet). All air movers should be blowing in the same direction.
- Monitor job daily. Record all drying data and keep accurate records.
- Dispose of any non-dryable items. Ensure you document and have the approval of the homeowner/insurance company before you do.
- Reinstall carpet with new pad after drying is complete.
- Replace all structure materials that were removed.
- After drying is complete, all affected areas will need to be cleaned.
The classic Water Claw just got a major upgrade: two built-in flushing ports. Now you can attach your solution line to the medium Water Claw and thoroughly flush an area while you extract–great for pet urine and major contamination removal jobs!
- Medium-size Water Claw - 10" x 17"
- Two flush ports on underside of extraction head
- Clear acrylic top plate for viewing extraction results
- Upright adjustable handle
- Ideal for restoration and pet urine jobs
The Typhoon offers a powerful 0.4 HP motor with 3 run speeds for all your drying challenges. Best of all, it only draws 3.0 amps! The two onboard GFCI outlets let you daisy chain multiple air movers, so you don't have to search for extra outlets. Just plug two fans into the Typhoon to eliminate the need for extension cords and power blocks.
$198.41 As low as: $191.26
- 3.0 amps; 0.4 HP
- 3-speed centrifugal air mover with onboard GFCI outlets
- Stackable for storage
- Can be adjusted to 3 positions
Two Functions—One Machine! The HVE 3000 does double duty as a stand-alone portable flood extractor OR as an inline truck mount booster.
- Boosts the vacuum performance of your truck mount
- Works as a stand-alone high-volume flood extractor
- 12-gallon waste tank
- Auto pumpout and quick gravity drain
The R250 pulls an impressive 135 pints at AHAM (80°F/60% Rh) while drawing only 8.3 amps. From epoxy-coated coils to a heavy-duty condensate pump and float switch, the newly redesigned R250 is a rugged, dependable, high-performance machine.
- 135 pints water removal at AHAM (80°F/60% Rh)
- 310 CFM; 8.3 amps
- Epoxy-coated coils
- Hi-temperature operation: up to 110°F
- Compact, stackable design
The DrizAir 1200 Dehumidifier from Dri-Eaz removes 64 pints at AHAM (80°F/60% Rh) with a max removal of up to 15 gallons a day. It combines all the great features of its larger cousins in a compact, portable, and stackable size that conveniently fits on your truck and maneuvers easily around the job site.
- Commercial grade refrigerant
- 64 pints water removal at AHAM (80°F/60% Rh)
- Maximum water removal 132.3 pints (15 gallons)
- Touchpad control console
- Rotomolded, high-density polyethylene housing
Concrobium Mold Control is a dual purpose, non-toxic antimicrobial that can be deployed during the “knock down” phases of restoration projects to control mold spore proliferation, and it can also be applied on restored surfaces for ongoing mold protection.
- Dual-purpose formula remediates and prevents mold
- EPA registered for use on hard surfaces and fabrics
- No bleach, ammonia, or VOCs
- Category IV rating—requires no PPE to apply
Starting at: $31.99
The ZipWall Kit is a unique containment barrier system that keeps dust, mold, and moisture from spreading into unaffected areas. If you do any type of repair work that generates dust, the ZipWall can save you countless hours of cleaning by confining dust and debris to your workspace.
- Handles ceilings up to 12 feet high
- Confines dust, mold, and moisture to your workspace
- Create a drying zone to handle water damage jobs
- One person can put up a ZipWall in less than five minutes!
ProKure V is an EPA-registered, liquid deodorizer/disinfectant/fungicide formulated for hospital use that ships dry in formula packets. Inside the formula packets are white pouches that are water activated to create ClO2 liquid, that can be sprayed, wiped or mopped on all hard, non-porous surfaces.
- Suitable for water and smoke damage restoration
- Kills bacteria, viruses*, mold, and odor-causing bacteria
- Water-activated; no rinse required
- Use on any wet-cleanable hard or soft surface
- EPA Registration No. 87508-3-89334
Starting at: $19.95
Use the 3M 6000 Series reusable half mask respirator with confidence in a variety of situations. It provides lightweight, comfortable protection against particulates, gases, and vapors according to NIOSH approval standards.
- One of the most lightweight respirators available
- Numerous cartridge/filter options; used with 3M™ filters and cartridges
- Reusable—just dispose of when used to capacity
Starting at: $12.51
Unitex Heavy-Duty Contractor Debris Bags are great when you need a strong bag for hauling lots of trash and bulky debris. These black 3-mil debris bags are strong enough to handle demolition waste. A convenient tie closure makes it easy to secure full bags.
- Ideal for disposal of large, bulky waste
- Each bag measures 32 x 50 inches; holds up to 42 gallons
- 3-mil thickness
- Tie flaps for secure bag closure
- Black color