Restoration of Hard Surfaces Damaged by Soot
The following instructions are for the removal of soot from surfaces that are not harmed by water; this includes countertops, flooring, and walls. It is important to identify how old the fire damage is prior to cleaning. If the damage is only a few days old, it can be cleaned and saved. However, if the fire damage is five or more days old, many items can be severely damaged beyond saving. Formica, plastics, ceiling tiles, etc. can be difficult to restore. The item that burned can also relate to how well material can be cleaned. Natural fires are the easiest to clean. Plastic is moderately difficult. Protein fires can be the most difficult.
- Use a vacuum, dry cleaning sponges, and/or Absorene Wall Cleaner to dry clean any surfaces that have soot on them. This may remove most of the soot on the surfaces. If there is any soot remaining, move to step 2.
- Wet clean surfaces using either PRS Fire and Content Cleaner (diluted per label instructions), or Unsmoke Degrease-All diluted at 14-43 oz per gallon of water. Spray onto the surface or sponge onto the affected areas.
- Rinse with water and wipe with a towel or sponge.
PRS Fire and Content Cleaner is a biologically based cleaning agent built specifically for fire residues and heavy-duty content cleaning on hard surfaces.
- Powerful biologically based degreaser
- No harsh fumes
- Ideal for fire damage restoration
Starting at: $40.49
Dirt, soot, soap scum, fire residue, and grime don't stand a chance against PreVasive Natureal' Heavy Duty Cleaner. This earth-friendly cleaner contains a special blend of surfactants and wetting agents that break surface tension and penetrate organic buildup for easy, fast removal.
- Earth-friendly cleaner cuts through grease and grime
- Ideal for cleaning soot and fire damage
- pH: 10.5
- Deodorizes and leaves a pleasant botanical scent
- Variable dilutions
Starting at: $30.25
These heavy-duty vulcanized natural rubber sponges excel at all types of cleaning applications, especially surfaces damaged by soot, smoke or fires. Wait until you see how much soot and dirt this sponge can power through on your restoration site!
- Bulk packed (not individually wrapped)
- Non-greasy; will not leave a residue
- Small: 6 x 0.75 x 3 inches
- Medium: 6 x 1.5 x 3 inches
- Large: 8 x 1.75 x 2.75 inches
Starting at: $41.84
Degrease-All offers a special blend of tough cleaning agents formulated to remove silt and soot from walls, fixtures, sealed wood, painted surfaces, yet gentle enough to be used as a traffic lane cleaner. It is tough enough to remove the heaviest smoke odors.
- Multi-surface degreaser
- Highly effective for removing soot
- pH: 12.3 (RTU 11.0)
- Safe for stain-resistant carpet
- Various dilution options
Starting at: $25.65