Mothball Odor Removal
Mothballs are generally composed of either para-dichlorobenzene (tolerance in air is 75 PPM) or naphthalene (tolerance in air is 10 PPM). The vapor from mothballs as they evaporate is heavier than air, so the vapor sinks down through underlying materials. Mothballs are not water-soluble, so they are resistant to conventional cleaning processes. Mothballs are soluble in alcohol (denatured, ethyl, isopropyl, etc.). Mothball odor problems generally occur when people over apply them.
Base pricing on this job on a time and material basis. Wear appropriate respiratory protection (a respirator with organic vapor pesticide canisters). Rely on engineering controls, ventilation, etc. to lower the respiratory protection levels required. Follow the basic method listed below. Vapors may be desorbed from affected materials by spraying affected areas with denatured alcohol and water solutions. The starting formula for desorbing would be 40% water and 60% denatured alcohol. Be careful because denatured alcohol is highly flammable and poses an inhalation risk.
The following are definite DON'TS in mothball odor removal:
- DO NOT OZONE!
- DO NOT THERMAL FOG!
- DO NOT APPLY ENZYME DEODORIZERS!
- DO NOT ADD ANY PRODUCTS WITH FRAGRANCES!
- DO NOT ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY FOR WHAT ISN’T YOUR PROBLEM!
- Remove as much of the dried product as possible.
- Ventilate the area.
- Add activated carbon to affected areas. This can be placed in containers, which maximize the surface area. It can also be placed into women’s pantyhose or men’s tube socks and hung in HVAC system air handler. Activated carbon filters can be placed in air scrubbers for cleansing the air.
- Set up a negative pressure containment. Using a 6-mil poly sheeting and Zipwall poles, build a containment area around the affected area.
- Measure the cubic feet of your containment (Length x Width x Ceiling Height) and size the proper-sized air scrubber. You should try to attain 4-6 air exchanges per hour. Figure this out by using the following formula: Cubic Feet x 4, divided by 60 = CFM needed to obtain proper negative pressure. Install the air scrubber either inside or outside the containment. .
- If the HEPA air scrubber is inside the containment area, use lay flat ducting to duct the exhaust air outside the containment area. If the air scrubber is outside the containment area, use reinforced flexible ducting to duct the air from the containment area into the intake on your air scrubber .
The Oasis Plus Ozone Generator doesn't just cover up foul odors, it destroys them. Ozone is the strongest oxidant commercially available and is a proven deodorizer. The Oasis Plus doesn't just cover up foul odors, it destroys them.
- Produces 2,650 mg of ozone per hour
- Treats areas up to 40,000 cubic feet
- 100 CFM fan
- Weighs just 13 lbs
Airborne odors don't stand a chance with Fresh Wave IAQ gel. This amazing compound works around the clock to provide 24/7 odor elimination. Simply set it out in a room and let ambient airflow do the work for you!
- Non-toxic, natural odor elimination
- Powerful gel activated by ambient airflow
- Effective for persistent odor problems
- Can be set out in any type of container
- Ready to use
Starting at: $5.20
Lightweight, compact, and easy to maneuver, this machine adapts quickly to any job. The HEPA 500 filter offers multi-filtration, an optional carbon filter, variable speeds, and a built-in duct ring.
- CFM: 250-500 (variable speed)
- 2-stage standard filtration
- 3rd stage optional filtration
- 115V, 3 amps
- Rotomolded housing
The Titan 2000 Hydroxyl Generator removes odors, kills germs, eliminates poisonous gasses, and cleans the air without the use of ozone, so there's no need to evacuate treatment areas during use. It treats spaces up to 20,000 cubic feet and runs for up to 8,000 hours!
- Voltage: 110V
- Cycles: 50/60 Hertz
- Amperage: 2 amp
- Fan Output : 900 CFM max
- Max. treatment area: 20,000 cubic feet
Unlike enzymes, Odorcide 210 works fast on the worst urine, organic decay, feces, and mold and mildew odors with no dwell time and no danger to pets or people. Use it on carpets, canvas, clothing, floors, and walls. It's also effective as a laundry soak or rinse, and as a surface spray.
- Permanently eliminate odors
- Works fast with no dwell time
- pH: 6.8
- Safe for stain-resistant carpet and wool
- Variable dilutions depending on severity of odor
Starting at: $11.26