Mothball Odor Removal
Mothballs are generally composed of either para-dichlorobenzene (tolerance in air is 75 PPM) or naphthalene (tolerance in air is 10 PPM). The vapor from mothballs as they evaporate is heavier than air, so the vapor sinks down through underlying materials. Mothballs are not water-soluble, so they are resistant to conventional cleaning processes. Mothballs are soluble in alcohol (denatured, ethyl, isopropyl, etc.). Mothball odor problems generally occur when people over apply them.
Base pricing on this job on a time and material basis. Wear appropriate respiratory protection (a respirator with organic vapor pesticide canisters). Rely on engineering controls, ventilation, etc. to lower the respiratory protection levels required. Follow the basic method listed below. Vapors may be desorbed from affected materials by spraying affected areas with denatured alcohol and water solutions. The starting formula for desorbing would be 40% water and 60% denatured alcohol. Be careful because denatured alcohol is highly flammable and poses an inhalation risk.
The following are definite DON'TS in mothball odor removal:
- DO NOT OZONE!
- DO NOT THERMAL FOG!
- DO NOT APPLY ENZYME DEODORIZERS!
- DO NOT ADD ANY PRODUCTS WITH FRAGRANCES!
- DO NOT ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY FOR WHAT ISN’T YOUR PROBLEM!
- Remove as much of the dried product as possible.
- Ventilate the area.
- Add activated carbon to affected areas. This can be placed in containers, which maximize the surface area. It can also be placed into women’s pantyhose or men’s tube socks and hung in HVAC system air handler. Activated carbon filters can be placed in air scrubbers for cleansing the air.
- Set up a negative pressure containment. Using a 6-mil poly sheeting and Zipwall poles, build a containment area around the affected area.
- Measure the cubic feet of your containment (Length x Width x Ceiling Height) and size the proper-sized air scrubber. You should try to attain 4-6 air exchanges per hour. Figure this out by using the following formula: Cubic Feet x 4, divided by 60 = CFM needed to obtain proper negative pressure. Install the air scrubber either inside or outside the containment. .
- If the HEPA air scrubber is inside the containment area, use lay flat ducting to duct the exhaust air outside the containment area. If the air scrubber is outside the containment area, use reinforced flexible ducting to duct the air from the containment area into the intake on your air scrubber .
Warning: Always test materials for colorfastness, follow label directions, and never mix products unless specified in the label directions. Each situation reacts differently and results may vary.
List View Grid View
Starting at: $11.30When you need low cost, non-collapsible ducting for your air scrubber or dehumidifier, this is the choice for you. Use this 25' long clear wire-reinforced Mylar flex ducting for all intake and exhaust tasks.
- Available in 6" to 16" diameters
- 25’ length
- 160 degree heat rating
This HEPA vacuum is ideal for medical facilities, clean rooms, computer labs or highly sensitive areas, offering the finest package of motor power and filters in the market.
- Ideal vacuum for medical facilities
- Can tackle asbestos and lead paint abatement cleanup
- HEPA filtration
- Weighs just 13 pounds
- Comes complete with tools
$93.00This 30-pound bucket-activated carbon and potassium permanganate product was developed for use with the Phoenix Guardian Carbon Frame.
- Designed for use with the Phoenix Guardian Carbon Frame
- Saves money over pre-made filters
- Lets you adjust amount of media for job
Starting at: $4.95
Airborne odors don’t stand a chance with Fresh Wave IAQ gel. This amazing compound works around the clock to provide 24/7 odor elimination. Simply set it out in a room and let ambient airflow do the work for you!
- Non-toxic, natural odor elimination
- Powerful gel activated by ambient airflow
- Effective for persistent odor problems
The ZipWall Kit is a unique containment barrier system that keeps dust, mold and moisture from spreading into unaffected areas.
- Handles ceilings up to 12 feet high
- Confines dust, mold and moisture to your workspace
- Create a drying zone to handle water damage jobs
- One person can put up a ZipWall in less than five minutes!
Starting at: $33.58
This Polyethylene Sheeting is a extra heavy-duty plastic film designed for use in many different construction and covering applications.
- 6 mil thickness
- Available in 10’ or 20’ Widths
- A Lead RRP Essential
- Ideal for drying chambers
- A must for mold remediation
- Can be used as a vapor barrier
$823.00Want to earn up to 70% more rental income on your air scrubber? Switch to the HEPA 1000 Air Scrubber. Its cutting-edge design delivers 1,000 CFM of clean, HEPA-filtered air.
- Earn up to 70% more rental income
- 1,000 CFM
- Compact size allows for one-person operation
Starting at: $41.00This 1" Activated Carbon Filter fits the Ultimate 1000 Air Scrubber/Negative Air Machine
- Optional 2nd Stage Filter for HEPA 1000 Air Scrubber
- Must use 1" Pre-Filter in concert with this filter
- Listed Size: 14 x 15 x 1 inches
- Nominal Size: 13.7 x 14.7 x .875 inches