SCHÖNOX® SL Cement Based Rapid Drying, Smoothing and Finishing Compound
- EMICODE EC 1PLUS R: very low emission
- For interior use only
- Featheredge achievable
- Fast drying in all thicknesses
- Suitable for underfloor heating systems
SCHÖNOX SL is a cement-based rapid-drying smoothing and finishing compound. It is designed to provide a smooth finish on various substrates in interior areas. SCHÖNOX® SL can be installed as a true featheredge.
SCHÖNOX SL provides exceptional hardness and strength. It is fast-drying in all thicknesses, making it a great choice for projects with tight timetables.
SCHÖNOX SL produces a very smooth surface. It is moisture resistant (interior only). There are no moisture vapor emission limitations on properly prepared concrete.
SCHÖNOX SL is suitable for use with underfloor heating systems. It can also be used for castor wheels loadings according to DIN EN 12529.
SCHÖNOX SL is suitable for patching, smoothing and leveling of:
- Concrete, cement substrates
- Floor leveling compounds
- Gypsum substrates
- Old substrates, such as ceramic tiles
- Old, water-resistant adhesive residues
- Wooden substrates
SCHÖNOX SL can also be used for filling, smoothing, and leveling of unheated cement-based substrates under SCHÖNOX Moisture Mitigation Systems.
This compound is rated EMICODE® EC 1PLUS R for very low emissions.
- Pot Life: Approx. 10–20 minutes
- Ready for Foot Traffic: After approx. 20 minutes
- Ready for Covering: After approx. 20 minutes when applied as a true featheredge
- Working Temperature: Not below 41°F floor temperature
- Environmental Product Declaration (EPD): EPD-DIV-2013311-EN
- LEED—May help contribute to LEED certification of projects in the following categories:
- EQc2: Low-Emitting Materials – 1 to 3 points
- MR Credit 1.1: Building Reuse-Maintain – Existing Walls, Floors and Roof – up to 3 points
- MR Credit 1.2: Building Reuse-Maintain – Existing Interior Nonstructural Elements – 1 point
- VOC Content: 0g/l (calculated), SCAQMD 1113
- Shelf Life: 12 months, unopened
- Coverage (depending on texture of substrate):
- Approx. 200 sq ft per unit when applied as a true featheredge
- Approx. 35 sq ft per unit at 1/8“
- Compressive Strength (ASTM C109): 25 N/mm² / 3,700 PSI at 28 days
- Flexural Strength (ASTM C348): Approx. 7 N/mm² / 1300 PSI at 28 days
- UL-classified in accordance with ASTM E84 (ANSI/UL 723): Flame Spread 0; Smoke Development 0
* All values are approximate, are subject to local climatic fluctuations based upon conditions at 70°F with atmosphere of less than 65% relative humidity following the recommended mixing ratio. Do not install underlayment or topping before the substrate has dried thoroughly
Mix each 4.5 kg/10 lb bag with 1.9 liters/2.0 quarts of water.
Recommended Working Method:
- Using a clean mixing bucket, add SCHÖNOX SL to cold, clean water to form a homogeneous mixture.
- Mix thoroughly for approx. 3 minutes using a heavy-duty drill (min. 600 RPM) to obtain a lump-free mix. Or mix smaller volumes by hand approx. 2–3 minutes to consistency.
- Apply, smooth and shape the leveling compound using a stainless steel smoother or a smoothing trowel. Do not mix more material than can be applied within 15 minutes.
- Protect curing SCHÖNOX SL layers from high ambient temperatures, direct sunlight and draughts.
- Clean tools in water immediately.