SCHÖNOX® ZM Cement Based Self‑leveling Compound
- EMICODE EC 1PLUS R: very low emission
- For interior use only
- High hardness and strength
- Very low shrinkage
SCHÖNOX ZM is a cement-based self-leveling compound suitable for use on cement- and gypsum-based substrates. It is designed for fast leveling on interior floors.
SCHÖNOX ZM produces surfaces with high hardness and strength. Users can layer thicknesses above 1/16“ up to 1/2“ without aggregates or layer thicknesses up to 1“ with aggregates.
SCHÖNOX ZM is suitable for filling, smoothing, and leveling of substrates under:
- Flexible coverings
- Wood floor, layer thickness above 1/8“ (use elastic adhesives only)
- Ceramic tiles
- Underfloor heating systems
SCHÖNOX ZM can also be used for filling, smoothing, and leveling of unheated, cement-based substrates under SCHÖNOX Moisture Mitigation Systems.
SCHÖNOX ZM is moisture resistant (interior only). There are no moisture vapor emission limitations on properly prepared concrete. This pumpable compound has very low shrinkage.
SCHÖNOX ZM exceeds minimum Ff/Fl requirements of ASTM and ACI when installed in accordance with the guidelines. It has been tested in accordance with ASTM C1708 and conforms with uSD 96/98/BC.
This compound is rated EMICODE® EC 1PLUS R for very low emissions. It is suitable for castor wheel loadings above 1/16“ according to DIN EN 12529.
SCHÖNOX ZM is suitable on:
- Concrete, cement substrates
- Rapid-drying cement screed systems
- Gypsum substrates
- OSB board, plywood (well screwed or bonded) prior to installing flexible coverings
- Old substrates, such as ceramic tiles and terrazzo
- Old, water-resistant adhesive residues
- Pot Life: Approx. 30 minutes
- Ready for Foot Traffic: Approx. 2 hours
- Ready for Covering:
- Approx. 24 hours up to 1/4" thickness
- After 48 hours up to 3/8” thickness
- After approx. 4 hours up to 1” prior to installing ceramic tiles
- Working Temperature: Not below 41°F
- Environmental Product Declaration (EPD): EPD-DIV-2013311-EN
- LEED—May help contribute to LEED certification of projects in the following categories:
- EQc2: Low-Emitting Materials – 1 to 3 points
- MR Credit 1.1: Building Reuse-Maintain – Existing Walls, Floors and Roof – up to 3 points
- MR Credit 1.2: Building Reuse-Maintain – Existing Interior Nonstructural Elements – 1 point
- VOC Content: 0g/l (calculated), SCAQMD 1113
- Shelf Life: 12 months, unopened
- Approx. 60–70 sq ft per unit at a thickness of 1/8” (depending on substrate conditions and aggregate used)
- Compressive Strength (ASTM C109):
- 5,800 PSI / 35 N/mm² / 400 kg/cm2 after 28 days
- 2,400 PSI / 15 N/mm2 / 160 kg/cm2 after 1 day
- Flexural Strength (ASTM C348): Approx. 1,300 PSI / 7 N/mm² after 28 days
- Tensile Strength (ASTM C1583) at 1/8”: Above 400 PSI / 2.5 N/mm2 after 3 days
- Initial Set (ASTM C191): Approx. 60 minutes
- Final Set (ASTM C191): Approx. 70 minutes
- UL-classified in accordance with ASTM E84 (ANSI/UL 723): Flame Spread 0; Smoke Development 0
*All values are approximate, are subject to local climatic fluctuations based upon conditions at 70°F with atmosphere of less than 65% relative humidity following the recommended mixing ratio. Do not install underlayment or topping before the substrate has dried thoroughly
Mix each 25kg / 55lb. bag with 6.5 liters / 6.8 quarts of water.
*If SCHÖNOX ZM is extended with dry, clean aggregate (aggregate is added last) at a layer thickness of 1/2“–1“, type and amount of aggregate used will affect product performance. As qualities of locally available aggregates vary, we recommend performing tests prior to use on a larger scale. Do not overwater! Foam while mixing, or settling of the sand aggregate while placing, indicates overwatering.
Recommended Working Method:
- Using a clean mixing drum, add SCHÖNOX ZM to cold, clean water to form a homogeneous mixture. Mix thoroughly for approx. 3 minutes using a heavy-duty drill (min. 600 RPM) is recommended to obtain a lump-free mix.
- pour the mix and spread using a smoothing trowel. Even surfaces are easily achieved using a pin leveler. In higher thicknesses using a spike roller is recommended. Contact to vertical structures should be avoided by putting in an edge strip.
- If a second layer of leveling compound is to be applied, prime the first layer with SCHÖNOX VD (diluted 1:1 with water) after drying. The maximum layer thickness must not be exceeded in case of two-layer applications. The second layer must not exceed the layer thickness of the first layer.
- Protect curing SCHÖNOX ZM layers from high ambient temperatures, direct sunlight and draughts.
- Clean tools in water immediately