Cleaning Brick or Stone Surfaces Affected by Smoke Damage
Procedure - Alkaline Cleaning
- Remove dry soil with a HEPA vacuum and dusting brush.
- Using pump-up sprayer and your alkaline stone cleaner, spray a 3' x 3' area (start at the bottom and work your way up).
- Using a nylon brush, agitate the sprayed area.
- Rinse with clear water.
Procedure - Acid Wash
Acid washing will remove a microscopic layer of the brick/masonry facing, making it more vulnerable to moisture. It is recommend that a sealer be applied to any exterior masonry/brick after acid washing.
WARNING: Never use muriatic acid on stone or masonry. Acid will etch most stone/brick/masonry surfaces. Avoid uneven or prolonged contact because etching, uneven cleaning, or streaking can result.
- Prepare a diluted solution of your acid-based cleaner.
- Using a pump-up sprayer, spray a small area (no larger than 3' x 3'). Immediately lightly agitate the area.
- Rinse well with clean water
Degrease-All offers a special blend of tough cleaning agents formulated to remove silt and soot from walls, fixtures, sealed wood, painted surfaces, yet gentle enough to be used as a traffic lane cleaner. It also removes heavy smoke odors.
- Multi-surface degreaser
- Highly effective for removing soot
- pH: 12.3 (RTU 11.0)
- Safe for stain-resistant carpet
- Various dilution options
Starting at: $26.76
Grout Devil is an amazing alkaline, water-based formula that easily tackles the toughest soil and grease buildup, leaving grout lines clean and bright.
- Powers through dirty floors and grout
- Restores smoke-damaged hard surfaces
- pH: 12.4
- For use on tile, grout and more!
- Variable dilutions
Starting at: $13.71
The chemists at Prochem chose the name Wide Range for a reason! This super-active, heavy-duty, high-pH degreaser/cleaner performs miracles at fire and flood restoration sites. It confidently stands up to the biggest challenges these disasters can produce.
- Effective for regular cleaning as well as tough restoration jobs
- Cuts grease and oil
- pH: 12-12.4
- For use on hard surfaces
- Dilute 1-32 ounces per gallon of water
Starting at: $25.14
Viper Renew is used when all other cleaners have failed, and is a safer alternative than aggressive acids, like phosphoric acid and muratic acid.
- Remove embedded soil with ease
- Twice as effective as ordinary acidic cleaners
- pH: 1.0
- For use on ceramic tile and grout
- Dilute 1 gallon per gallon of water
Starting at: $42.49