How to Remove Stains from Hard Floors
While hard floors are more stain resistant than carpet, upholstery, and other soft surfaces, they are still susceptible to the occasional stain or discoloration. Some flooring systems, such as concrete, are porous in nature, so it’s easy for stains to become deeply set in the surface.
Here are some handy tips for stain removal on hard floors:
- Clean spills immediately. Wipe up any spills right away to prevent staining. The longer a stain goes untreated, the more difficult removal becomes.
- Use walk-off mats at building entrances. This will help reduce the dirt and staining substances (such as oil and ice melt) that gets tracked into the facility.
- Be prepared to treat odors. Sometimes it’s not necessarily the stain that causes the most concern for the client, but the odor. Nicotine stains are often accompanied by an unpleasant odor that requires professional treatment.
- Develop a routine, interim, and restorative maintenance program. Keep stains at bay and promote the floor’s best appearance by instituting a schedule of regular cleaning and maintenance.
Ice Melt and Salt Removal from Hard Floors
During the winter months in the colder parts of the country, ice melt is used on the roads and sidewalks to keep people from slipping. The residue from this ice melt is a salt-like residue that leaves white marks across hard flooring. Mopping with a regular neutral cleaner generally will not remove this residue.
- Dilute Easy Pak Neutralizer/Conditioner at 1 packet per 3 gallons of water in a mop wringer/bucket combo set.
- Mop the floor thoroughly with the diluted solution.
- Allow floor to dry.
Battery Acid Cleanup on Hard Surfaces
Battery acid is very caustic and care should be taken when handling this kind of cleanup. Always wear appropriate protective gear. Battery acid on hard surfaces is generally caused from a battery that has “exploded.”
- Apply baking soda to the spot to neutralize the acid. (If the acid has had time to dry, you must add water to the area before you add the baking soda.) Leave the baking soda on the spot for approximately one hour to ensure that the acid had been completely neutralized. The baking soda will have formed a paste.
- Wipe up the baking soda paste.
- With a sponge, clean the affected area using Unitex Daily Clean diluted at 2 oz per gallon of water.
Oil Stain Removal from Stone Floors
Oil stains can settle deep into stone flooring, making it difficult to clean up. The following products and procedures will aid in the removal of the deep oil stains. Before following this procedure, always test in a small inconspicuous area to determine that the desired results will be achieved. Make sure surface is clean, dry, and free of waxes and coatings.
- Using a plastic or wood spatula, stir thoroughly to mix the poultice (available at home improvement stores).
- Apply a 1/4" think layer of poultice to the stain. Ensure that the paste extends at least 1"-2" beyond the edge of the stain.
- Do not cover.
- Allow 48-72 hours for paste to completely dry to a powder.
- Remove poultice and discard.
- Allow solvent to completely dry from the stone.
- If stain is not completely gone after drying, repeat process.
- Clean up residue and tools with mineral spirits.
- Reseal cleaned area.
Jon-Don has a wide selection of mops and buckets, neutral cleaners, and even odor removal products that can help you remove a wide variety of stains from hard floors. For assistance in choosing the right product or in developing a maintenance program for your facility, please contact one of our Building Service Experts at 800-556-6366.
Easy Paks Neutralizer Conditioner/Odor Counteractant contains a special counteractant formula that neutralizes alkaline residues after floor stripping. Use these packs for assurances every time you clean an alkaline-sensitive surface or surface featuring a high-gloss finish. It won't mar, dull, or leave a haze—just clean, beautiful floors.
- Neutralizes residue after floor stripping
- Great for removing ice melt residue!
- pH: 7.0
- Multi-surface use
- Dilute 1 packet per 3 gallons of water
Starting at: $31.13
Now infused with SenTec™ malodor counteractant technology, Daily Clean cuts through dirt, grime, AND odors! It leaves no streaks, haze, or residues. Low-foam and concentrated, it works best mixed 1–3 ounces per gallon. Apply with an automatic scrubber or mop for terrific results.
- Improved formula performs better in hard water
- Leaves no residues; infused with SenTec™ odor counteractant
- pH: 7.0–8.5
- Multi-surface use
- Dilute 1–3 ounces per gallon of water
Starting at: $7.99