Spray Buffing Tile Floors
Spray buffing is an important element of hard floor maintenance program. Spray buffing is done to clean the floor as well as help to revive a “like new” look.
The liquid spray buff is applied to the floor using a floor machine or burnisher, which helps to remove dirt from the floor and revive a glossy “wet look” in the floor, repairing any scuffs or minor scratches at the same time.
Spray buffing can be labor intensive and is generally only best-suited for small areas and hallways. Many building service contractors perform spray buffing simply because they already have the necessary equipment – a low-speed floor machine or burnisher and floor pads.
But to maintain larger areas, Jon-Don recommends contractors use other, more efficient floor maintenance methods.
Basic Spray Buffing guidelines:
- Prepare the area and your equipment. Set out wet floor signs and cordon off your work area.
- Apply the spray buff in a fine mist. Do not apply spray buff directly to the floor in a solid stream as this can lead to buildup on the floor and pad. Remember: a little goes a long way, so try not to over-apply the product.
- Make two passes with your floor machine on each section of the floor. After you apply the spray buff, move your floor machine back and forth across the floor in small sections of about 2-3 feet wide. Pass the floor machine back and forth, then step back and repeat your passes. Always work backwards to ensure you aren’t walking on your newly buffed floors.
- If using a low-speed floor machine (175 RPM), you will need to go over the floor twice to achieve good results. On the first pass, apply the spray buff in a light mist and then go over the floor with a red pad to remove the dirt. Next, go over the floor once more using a white pad to bring up the gloss.
- If using spray buff with a burnisher (a high-speed floor machine over 1,000 RPM), be sure to clean the floor first to remove dirt and soil. If the dirt is not removed first, it will only be ground into the floor by the burnisher, which will ruin the machine and cause the floor to look yellow and dull.
- Linger over scuff marks. Sometimes going over scuff marks with your floor machine can remove them. Other times, you may need to use a little elbow grease and a hand pad to get rid of the mark.
- Dust mop the floor after you have spray buffed. This will ensure any residue or lingering dirt is completely removed.
- Dust mop entire floor.
- Using a putty knife or Matrix Chewing Gum Remover, remove gum or any other sticky substance from floor.
- Using a mop wringer and bucket set dilute Unitex Daily Clean at 2 oz per gallon of water. Mop the entire floor. Corners and edges may need to be cleaned by hand. Let floor dry.
- Using a pump-up sprayer apply the spray buff solution to a 10' x 10' area.
Low-Speed: Unitex Rebound Spray Buff undiluted.
High-Speed: Unitex Vitalizer Cleaner and Restorer diluted at 2-8 oz per gallon of water.
- Run machine with pad over area until the area is dry.
Low-Speed Buffing Pad Color: White
High-Speed Buffing Pad Color: Champagne
- Repeat steps 4 and 5 until the entire floor area is spray buffed, replacing pads when necessary.
- Dust mop entire floor to remove small particles and enhance shine.
Always follow product use instructions, and never mix product unless specified in the label directions. Each situation reacts differently and results may vary.
Rebound Spray Buff and Cleaner is formulated to remove black heel marks and repair scuffs while restoring the original floor finish. For use on all acrylic floor finishes.
- Special polymers heal scars and leave behind a brilliant gloss
- Excellent at repairing scratches in acrylic floor finishes
- pH: 8.0–9.5
- For use on acrylic floor finishes
- Ready to use
Starting at: $14.60
This one-step floor cleaner and restorer is formulated for daily use on resilient and hard floor surfaces using ultra-high-speed applications. Vitalizer leaves floors looking refinished, and it saves time because you eliminate one entire step in the process!
- Leaves floors looking refinished
- Cleans and restores in one action
- pH: 11.0–12.0
- For use on resilient tile and other hard surface flooring
- Dilute 2–8 ounces per gallon of water
Starting at: $18.35
Choose these champagne pads for all of your thermal buffing and burnishing projects. Use this pad dry or with spray buff solution for frequent burnishing tasks on soft-to-medium finishes. Use with machines up to 3,000 RPM.
- For thermal buffing and burnishing
- Use with machines up to 3,000 RPM
- Use dry or with spray buff solution
- 3-inch center hole
- Champagne color
Starting at: $18.98
Choose this extra fine white pad for polishing floors. Use it for dry applications or with a fine water mist to produce a high-gloss wet look on newly finished floors. For use with machines from 175 to 1,000 RPM. Pads packed 5 to a case.
- Ideal for buffing soft finishes
- Extra fine pad for polishing clean, dry floors
- Use on machines up to 1,000 RPM
Starting at: $10.18
Tufts penetrate into the pad for secure holding power. Includes a 1-1/4-inch thick plastic riser and has a 5-inch center hole. Heavy polypropylene strands trimmed offset at 1/2-inch are staple-set in the Tuff-Block, making this a superior driver.
- Marine-grade plastic block
- Plastic riser mounted on pad driver
- Secure pad holding power
- Available in sizes from 12–19 inches
- 5-inch center hole
Starting at: $29.38
This 17" floor machine has a 1.5 HP motor and provides a brush speed of 175 RPM. It is perfect for jobs large and small in any commercial environment, including retail, schools, office buildings, and more.
- 1.5 HP motor, 175 brush RPM
- 17-inch cleaning path
- Heavy-duty, 50-foot power cord
- 3 year warranty
- Pad driver and clutch plate included
This heavy-duty floor machine features a 1.5 HP TEFC motor with enough strength to power through your toughest jobs. Use it on marble, concrete, or other surfaces where extreme cleaning is needed. This chrome-plated floor machine comes with a 360-degree wrap around bumper and pad driver.
- Heavy-duty machine for your toughest jobs!
- Suited for marble, concrete, and other extreme jobs
- Heavy-duty steel construction
- 1.5 HP enclosed motor for dirty environments
- 50-ft power cord
Looking for that “Wow!” finish from burnishing after refinishing? You need the 2,000 RPMs that this Unipro High-Speed Burnisher provides. “Pop” your floors and impress your customers!
- Provides 2,000 RPMs
- 20-inch cleaning path
- Super quiet, high-speed design
- Flexible pad driver included