Cleaning Velvet Upholstery
Velvet is a particular weave that is very soft to the touch. If not cleaned properly, it can appear damaged. Crushed velvet has been chemically treated to lay in certain patterns. Once wet cleaned, the crushed look will disappear. Remember, velvet is a fabric, and the most important thing is the fiber.
Directions - Method One:
- Use Absorene Wall Cleaner by shaping it into a ball and rolling it onto the fabric until clean.
- Vacuum excess crumbs with a vacuum.
- Brush with a velvet brush if necessary, using the side of the brush and brushing in one direction.
Directions – Method Two (Optional):
- Vacuum thoroughly, using a brush if necessary to break up crusty soils.
- Test for colorfastness with the strongest solution you think will be used.
- Precondition using Matrix Outset Upholstery Prespray.
- Agitate using a nylon bristle brush. BE SURE to brush in the direction of the nap lay only.
- Provide adequate dwell time for completed soil suspension (about 10 minutes).
- Extract using Matrix Impression Upholstery Cleaning Concentrate, working in the direction of the nap lay only. Reverse-spray and extract as necessary.
- Brush with the nap lay upon completion of each section using a velvet brush.
- Brush the entire piece when complete. Avoid fabric-to-fabric contact as much as possible during dry time.
- Dry the fabric with a combination of forced air movement, positive ventilation, or dehumidification.
- Fluff the velvet pile in an upward direction while drying. This will lift and separate the pile and break loose any remaining detergent residue.
- Do a final brush of the pile in a downward direction.
Warning: Always test material for colorfastness, follow label directions and never mix product unless specified in the label directions. Each situation reacts differently and results may vary.
The velvet brush is indispensable for finishing velvets after wet cleaning. It features unique fine-combed anodized aluminum bristles that prevent the fabric from drying stiff. This brush helps restore the velvet's soft texture and plush appearance. Measures 5" x 2".
- Wood block with fine-combed anodized aluminum bristles
- Prevents velvet from drying stiff
- Measures 5" x 2"
Absorene works like an eraser, banishing dust, dirt, and smoke film from multiple surfaces: walls, ceiling tile, paintings, window shades, blinds, lamp shades, tapestries, felt hats, painted surfaces, and more!
- Cleans walls, ceiling tile, smoke film and more
- Safe on painted walls, wallpaper, and more
- Works like an eraser
- Ready to use
Starting at: $5.25
This brush features real horsehair bristles on a plastic block. Measures 6" x 2".
- Horsehair bristles on a plastic block
- Measures 6 inches x 2 inches
A favorite for use when foam cleaning upholstery fabrics and for hand cleaning silk rugs, the natural material of this sponge allows for excellent control of foam and liquid. It also provides gentle agitation for thorough cleaning. Natural sponges are soft, pliable, absorbent, and last longer than cellulose.
- Ideal for general cleaning
- Will not stain or retain odors
- Super absorbent
This high-quality pre-spray is specifically designed for the safe and effective cleaning of both wool and pH-sensitive fabrics. It lifts and suspends tough soils without harming delicate natural fibers, wool, and stain-resistant carpet.
- Tough pre-spray that is gentle enough for natural fibers
- Great for those problem rugs
- pH: 8.36
- Safe for stain-resistant carpet and wool
- Dilute 4 ounces per gallon of water
Starting at: $26.78
Just as the name implies, Matrix Complete Rinse is a product you can use with complete confidence on ALL carpets and wet-cleanable upholstery, including commercial, residential, and yes, even wool! It eliminates dirt and cleaning solution residues, leaving carpet and upholstery looking its best.
- Eliminates dirt and cleaning solution residue
- Leaves carpet bright and soft
- pH: 4.0–4.5
- Safe for stain-resistant carpet and wool
- Variable dilutions
Starting at: $30.21
This gentle fine fabric shampoo combines a low pH with premium detergents to suspend soils, dirt, and grime while also preventing browning. It's ideal for use on any fabric, including wool and other natural fibers.
- Low pH, premium detergent shampoo formula
- Suspends soils without damaging fibers
- pH: 6.0–7.0
- Safe for use on wool
- Dilute 3–5 ounces per gallon of water
Starting at: $22.89