Cleaning Silk Upholstery
Silk is a lustrous fiber with high strength and good elasticity. It tends to shed dirt and resist wrinkles. Silk dyes and prints well and is usually found in bright rich colors. It is absorbent but dries quickly.
Silk becomes weaker when wet and is easily yellowed and damaged by age, sunlight, and perspiration. Silk yellows if exposed to high temperatures and strong soaps. It is also harmed by alkalis and oxidizing agents (bleaches). Silk fabrics also tend to waterspot if wet cleaned incorrectly.
Some brightly colored dyes used on silk are prone to bleeding. Insects can attack silk. In some constructions, silk fabrics have low abrasion resistance.
The following tech help is on dry cleaning silk upholstery. Testing for bleeding still needs to be done with dry cleaning chemicals. To avoid damage, keep temperatures below 330°F.
- Using a natural sponge, apply Chemspec Dry Fabric Cleaner to upholstery. Be sure to wear protective gloves.
- Wipe using short vigorous strokes against fabric grain.
- Using a dry white towel, wipe down fabric to remove excess cleaner.
Warning: Always test material for colorfastness, follow label directions and never mix product unless specified in the label directions. Each situation reacts differently and results may vary.
Releases oil and petroleum-based soils from carpet and upholstery fibers and emulsifies them for easy, clean-rinsing removal.
- Use to dry clean fabrics by hand or machine
- pH: None
- Safe for all fabrics
- Ready to use
Starting at: $34.37
Enjoy dependable hand protection with these disposable 100% synthetic nitrile gloves. Powder-free and latex-free, there is no risk of allergic reactions to natural rubber latex protein. These gloves provide protection from chemicals, solvents, grease/oil, and blood/bodily fluids.
- Latex- and powder-free
- Puncture resistant
- 5 mil thickness
- Micro-textured surface for a non-slip grip
- 100 gloves per box; 10 boxes per case (XL 90 per box)
Starting at: $8.74
This 1-1/2-quart pump-up sprayer features a high-density polyethylene tank and a steel pump rod for extra durability. Fluid levels can be easily monitored through the translucent tank. A special pump bypass feature eliminates over-pressurizing of the tank. Solvent-resistant viton seals.
- Industrial heavy-duty design
- 1-1/2-quart capacity
- Plated steel pump rod
- Solvent-resistant viton seals
The Ultimate is a powerful multi-purpose machine that can wet clean synthetic fibers as well as dry clean natural fabrics. You no longer have to avoid touching certain types of upholstery, drapes, or Oriental rugs—the Ultimate can do it all! Onboard tool kit included.
- Ideal for wet or dry cleaning upholstery and drapes
- Solvent compatible and self-priming
- 3-1/4-gallon tank
- 40-PSI pump with viton seals and 200°F heater
This brush features real horsehair bristles on a plastic block. Measures 6" x 2".
- Horsehair bristles on a plastic block
- Measures 6 inches x 2 inches
Wool Sea Sponges combine excellent absorbency and durability with extreme softness, making them the perfect choice for cleaning delicate upholstery or silks. These all-natural, 100% biodegradable sponges provide excellent foam control and naturally inhibit bacterial growth.
- Ideal for cleaning delicate surfaces and fabrics
- Soft, durable, highly absorbent
- All-natural, 100% biodegradable
- Naturally inhibits the growth of bacteria
- Size, shape, and color may vary