Fire Extinguisher Residue Cleanup
There are seven common types of fire extinguishers. Two of them do not have to be cleaned after use. Those two are:
- Water – Just dry the area and proceed with your restoration.
- Carbon Dioxide – Carbon Dioxide removes oxygen in the area to suffocate a fire. Carbon dioxide extinguishers leave no residue and are commonly used in computer rooms and food storage areas. Since they leave no residue, you can go straight to the restoration work.
The other five types of fire extinguishers require thorough cleaning to be performed after use. Those five and what they are made of are listed here. Out of these five, the Halotron extinguisher is the only one that requires very different cleaning procedures. The other types can all be cleaned with the procedures under "Dry Chemical Fire Extinguisher Residue Clean Up."
- Halotron - Some older fire extinguishers use halon as the extinguishing media. Halon was common in older fire extinguishers because it leaves no VISIBLE residue. Halon extinguishers are no longer being produced
- Multi-Purpose Dry Chemical - Typically uses a chemical agent called mono ammonium phosphate
- Regular Dry Chemical – Uses a sodium-bicarbonate-based dry chemical agent
- Purple K Dry Chemical – Uses a potassium-bicarbonate-based dry chemical agent
Halotron Fire Extinguisher Residue Cleanup
- To remove Halotron residue, every surface needs to be cleaned -- even surfaces that have a miniscule chance of being contacted (contents in drawers, closets, etc.).
- Dilute Unsmoke Degrease-All at 14 oz per gallon of water. Apply it with a sponge, or use sprayer for larger areas.
- Neutralize all areas cleaned by using Unitex Daily Clean diluted at 2 oz per gallon of water. Allow surfaces to dry.
Dry Chemical Fire Extinguisher Residue Cleanup
1. Install a HEPA air scrubber to remove all airborne particles.
2. Use a HEPA vacuum to clean all surfaces and contents inside cabinets and drawers.
3. Because dry chemical fire extinguishers are very corrosive to metal surfaces, those surfaces should be cleaned first.
4. Clean all surfaces using Unsmoke Degrease-All diluted at 14 oz per gallon of water.
5. Neutralize all surfaces using Unitex Daily Clean. For carpets, use Matrix All Fiber Rinse diluted at 4-6 oz per gallon of water.
6. Kitchen plates and cookware can be washed in the dishwasher or by hand with a standard dishwashing soap.
7. Clothing can be washed as normal in the washing machine.
Always follow label directions, and never mix products unless specified in the label directions. Each situation reacts differently and results may vary.
List View Grid View
Starting at: $0.82
Pick the double-sided cellulose sponge/scrubber that tackles soil removal then wipes up residue fast. Made of non-woven material for gentle cleaning, this sponge works wonders on sinks, tubs, toilets, ceramic, plastic, rubber, countertops, desks, and more!
- For light-duty chores
- Non-woven material has gentle cleaning action
- Great on plastic, rubber, countertops, ceramic, sinks, and more
Starting at: $14.83
All Fiber Rinse rinses away every trace of dirt and cleaning solution, leaving behind a residue-free carpet that's squeaky clean and soft to the touch. For best results, use All Fiber Rinse after cleaning with Matrix Grand Slam.
- Eliminates every trace of dirt and cleaning solution residue
- Leaves carpets bright and soft
- pH: 2.5–4.0
- Safe for stain-resistant carpet and wool
- Variable dilutions
Starting at: $7.68
Daily Clean's concentrated, general-purpose formula leaves no sign of streaks or haze. Low-foam and concentrated, it works best mixed 1–3 ounces per gallon; then apply with an automatic scrubber or mop for terrific results.
- Safe for everyday use
- Leaves no residues
- pH: 7.0–8.5
- Multi-surface use
- Dilute 1–3 ounces per gallon of water
Starting at: $26.93
Degrease-All offers a special blend of tough cleaning agents formulated to remove silt and soot from walls, fixtures, sealed wood, painted surfaces, yet gentle enough to be used as a traffic lane cleaner. It is tough enough to remove the heaviest smoke odors.
- Multi-surface degreaser
- Highly effective for removing soot
- pH: 12.3 (RTU 11.0)
- Safe for stain-resistant carpet
- Various dilution options
Want to earn up to 70% more rental income on your air scrubber? Switch to the HEPA 1000 Air Scrubber. Its cutting-edge design delivers 1,000 CFM of clean, HEPA-filtered air.
- 1,000 CFM of clean HEPA-filtered air
- Earn up to 70% more rental income
- Compact size allows for one-person operation
- Includes a standard HEPA filter and 2-inch pleated filter
- Weighs just 73.5 pounds
This mild polish contains no abrasives or acids, yet it restores silver, brass, copper, stainless, chrome, and aluminum fixtures to an original shine. Apply the product with a rag and buff to remove smoke, soot, spots, and discoloration.
- Helps remove smoke, soot, spots, and discoloration
- Gentle formula; no abrasives
- pH: None
- Restores brass, copper, stainless, aluminum, chrome, and silver
- Ready to use
They don't call the Sanitaire SC535A "the Quiet Clean Time Machine" for nothing! This model generates just 62.5 dBA, making it no louder than normal office background noise. You can clean occupied areas without disturbing anyone.
- 10-quart capacity
- CRI seal of approval
- Only 62.5 dBA
- HEPA filtration
- Tools included; 50-foot power cord