Raccoon Feces/ Roundworm Clean Up
Raccoon roundworm is also called Baylisascris Procynois. Per the CDC, Baylisascaris can infect a variety of other animals, including humans. The worms develop to maturity in the raccoon intestine where they produce millions of eggs that are passed through the feces. Released eggs take 2-4 weeks to become infective to other animals and humans. The eggs are resistant to most environmental conditions and, with adequate moisture, can survive for years.
Symptoms of infection depend on how many eggs are ingested and where in the body the larvae migrate (travel to). Once inside the body, eggs hatch into larvae and cause illness when they travel through the liver, brain, spinal cord, or other organs. Ingesting a few eggs may cause few or no symptoms, but ingesting large numbers of eggs may lead to serious health complications. Symptoms of infection may take a week or so to develop.
- Liver enlargement
- Loss of coordination
- Lack of attention to people and surroundings
- Loss of muscle control
- Other animals (except raccoons) infected with Baylisascaris can develop similar symptoms or die as a result of infection
There are very few cases of Baylisascaris infection reported each year, but it is believed to often be misdiagnosed. Five out of 25 reported cases end in death, so extreme caution must be taken when cleaning up after raccoon infestations. Restoration personnel may be called on this kind of job to treat the odor of the feces or clean up a raccoon-inhabited basement or attic.
Personal protective equipment (PPE) must be worn while cleaning up after a raccoon. This includes Tyvek suits, HEPA-filtered full-face respirators, nitrile gloves, and shoe covers.
- Set up a negative pressure containment. Using a 6-mil poly sheeting and Zipwall poles build a containment zone around the affected area.
- Measure the cubic feet of your containment and size the proper sized air scrubber. You should try to attain 4-6 air exchanges per hour. Use the following formula to determine the appropriate size air scrubber: Cubic Feet multiplied by 4, then divided by 60 = CFM needed to obtain proper negative pressure. Install the air scrubber either inside or outside the containment area.
- If the HEPA air scrubber is inside the containment area, use lay flat ducting to duct the exhaust air outside the containment area. If the air scrubber is outside the containment area, use reinforced flexible ducting to duct the air from the containment area into the intake on your air scrubber.
- Using a ULV fogger, fog the area initially with Unsmoke Microban X-590.
- Remove any gross contamination. All fecal matter should be burned, buried, or sent to a landfill.
- Using a sponge and Unsmoke Microban QGC diluted at 8 oz per gallon of water, completely clean the area.
Always follow label directions and never mix product unless specified.
Microban X-590 replaces Microban X-580. This ready-to-use disinfectant kills gram negative bacteria as well as insects, such as roaches, lice, bedbugs, and more. EPA registered for spray applications, Microban X-590 is suitable for use on furniture, mattresses, and carpet.
- Water-based bactericide, fungicide, deodorant, insecticide
- Formerly Microban X-580
- pH: 6.5-7.5
- For use on furniture, mattresses, and carpet
- Ready to use
Microban Germicidal Cleaner Concentrate Lemon is a one-step, quat-based disinfectant that is effective against a broad spectrum of bacteria, viruses, mold, and mildew, including H1N1 (Swine Flu).
- EPA-registered quaternary disinfectant
- Lemon scented
- pH: 12.4
- Variable dilutions
- Kills H1N1 (Swine Flu)
The Flex-A-Lite is simply the most rugged ULV fogger available. Great for applying deodorizers, disinfectants, and duct sealers.
- Formerly called Blastmaster ULV Fogger
- Nozzle mounted on 48" hose
- Sprays up to 25 feet!
- 1.5-gallon tank
- Adjustable flow rate
The full face 6000 Series Respirator from 3M helps provide respiratory protection from a variety of gases, vapors, and particulate hazards at concentrations up to 10 times the permissible exposure limit (PEL) when properly fitted and used with approved 3M cartridges and filters.
- Low maintenance
- Numerous cartridge/filter options
- Filters and cartridges sold separately
- NIOSH approved
Starting at: $125.50
This combined organic vapor/acid gas cartridge/P100 filter provides protection against certain organic vapors, acid gases, and particulates. It is approved by NIOSH and features a convenient swept-back design that provides enhanced visibility, balance, and comfort.
- Ideal for mold and fire remediation
- P100 particulate filter
- Organic vapor relief
Starting at: $19.07
Want to earn up to 70% more rental income on your air scrubber? Switch to the HEPA 1000 Air Scrubber. Its cutting-edge design delivers 1,000 CFM of clean, HEPA-filtered air.
- 1,000 CFM of clean HEPA-filtered air
- Earn up to 70% more rental income
- Compact size allows for one-person operation
- Includes a standard HEPA filter and 2-inch pleated filter
- Weighs just 73.5 pounds
Get extreme particle barrier protection from non-hazardous liquids. KleenGuard is made from a breathable, micro-porous film laminate and is an excellent replacement for Tyvek. KleenGuard coveralls incorporate a spunbound non-woven texture for more protection.
- 25 per case
- Attached hood and boots
- Zipper front and elastic wrists and ankles
- Passes ASTM F1670 Blood and Body Fluid Penetration
Starting at: $117.60
These powder-free nitrile gloves are 3X more puncture-resistant than rubber gloves! They're an affordable way to protect your hands from a broad range of chemicals as well as bloodborne pathogens.
- Latex and powder free; puncture resistant
- 5 mil thickness
- Micro-textured surface for a non-slip grip
- 100 gloves per box; 10 boxes per case (XL 90 per box)
Starting at: $7.52